Writing is hard. Even professionals struggle with crafting words into coherent thought.
It’s no wonder many people avoid writing anything longer than an email.
It’s not easy and it’s not for everyone. HONEST writing requires a level of openness. An unmasking of the soul. I don’t just mean fiction. I mean writing anything, from an email to a 400 page magnum opus. You can’t hold back if you want to connect with people.
Lifelong readers are not stupid. Writers don’t get away with faking emotions or forcing impressions on them. Anything that you do that takes the reader out of the story will be noticed. Your job as a writer is to genuinely resonate with people who read your words.
Will everyone get you? Of course not, its not that kind of party. Honestly you shouldn’t be trying to appeal to everyone anyway. The minute you change your voice to please an audience (or a particular audience member) is the moment that your writing becomes fraudulent.
Why bother writing at all?
In my opinion the goal (purpose) of any writer is to twofold –
- Write every day, learning more and more about the craft until you find your unique ‘Voice’ and then living in that voice.
- Be honest with that voice and your audience will find you. People connect with others who use words they can understand and find solace in. All you need to do is be genuine.
Stephen King speaks of writing as a form of mental telepathy and even time travel. The way a writer uses his or her words creates a mental image in the mind of the reader. This mental image crosses time and distance. Your job is to create the very best mental images you can in your audience. If you take them on a trip, entertain them, enlighten them, scare the daylights out of them you’ll have one hell of a following. Don’t worry if you don’t feel like you are doing this well right now, that comes with time and practice. No one is born knowing how to ‘write’ but here’s a fact – Humans are born storytellers. Just ask any kid who’s about to get into trouble…
At the end of the day, that’s what writing is. Connecting with others and sharing ideas.
Why build this site?
I have a few goals in mind for this site.
- Provide writers with tools and information that I have developed the hard way (since that seems to be how I learn best..), or learned from other writers that I know.
- Spin some good yarns to entertain you and sometimes make you think.
- Encourage ‘budding writers’ to get that fire going and hopefully give them some tools to make it a touch easier.
- Start a conversation about what writing is and what it isn’t, and what it all means.
I’m a lifelong reader. I love books and I love most of the process involved with creating stories – I won’t lie, parts of this process truly suck, but it is what it is. I truly believe that storytelling in general (and writing specifically) exists as a way to bring people together. Writing is powerful, it can be used to heal and it can be used to kill. One of the biggest things I want to do with this blog is examine why I think writing is so powerful. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.